[AT] 8-volt batteries in 6-volt tractors

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Thu Mar 9 15:02:51 PST 2006

George,  Years ago our forefathers thought as you did that 6 volts was
enough then came along the next generation and they tried 8 volts well that  worked
a little better but not quite good enough so their children went to 12
volts. Viola, that sure works great. So now we all have 12 volt systems and very
seldom do we have trouble starting on a very cold morning.
I remember the  old days when 6 volts were the norm and we pushed started out
cars and trucks  and tractor more than we ever wanted to just because
everything AIN'T perfect.

I went to 12 volts on my Case LA after increasing the compression from 4  to
8 to 1 the big old six volt battery just wouldn't turn it over.

I'm not a fan of the 8 volt system just because you can't get parts or
lights to fit it anymore. But if you didn't have the light problem I think it
would be a good conversion for old 6 volts systems.
 Yes they will turn over and sometimes start with 6 volts if all is  perfect
but then how often is that and what is wrong with getting a little more  help
to push.  Most people wouldn't even notice the difference unless you  told
them that it was 8 volts.

Well that's my opinion as some have said.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361
503 623-0460