[Steam-engine] Pouring Bearings

Stacey Freeman staceyf at nctv.com
Thu Mar 9 07:35:29 PST 2006

Andy, When I pour Babbitt, I build my forms around the shafts from plywood
and seal the shaft and shells to the plywood with 100% clear silicone
(bathroom tub seal).  The silicone will not burn or release and during
preheat, if the plywood catches on fire, that will not be a problem.  As far
as determining the heat of the shaft, I heat it to the point where I can't
put my had on it and hold it there.  I use Pam to release the Babbitt from
the shaft and that works well.  As far as the temperature of the Babbitt:  I
use a sugar pine strip of wood that I stick in the molten Babbitt and pull
it back out.  When the stick scorches dark brown it is hot enough.

Just the way we do it.
Stacey Freeman
www.freemansmill.com