[Steam-engine] Show Insurance

Terry Welch terry1955 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 9 03:16:35 PST 2006

I handle the insurance for our club. It is the biggest expense we have. I have found what I consider a reasonable policy for a couple of other groups I belong to. But there are conditions to it. #1 is the club can not own real property. What they are talking about there is land or buildings. #2 the group has to be non profit. There are other conditions but are minor. The insurance is through Hagerty. It is called Non-Profit Club Insurance. You can go to their web site and it will tell you some about it. The two clubs I helped get it this last year pay a premium of about $250 per year. Go to their web site and give them a call and they will mail or e-mail you the forms for a quote. It does not cost anything other than time. They do cover steam. The antique steam boiler assc here in Wisc has them for its insurance. You can add the property owners on the policy for events as the boiler assc sponsors a steam school up here and they have named added the place holding the school on
  their
 policy. As for our clubs insurance we own about 100 acres. So this policy will not work. Our Liab coverage runs about 9 to 10 thousand a year. plus inland marine coverage on our buildings we paid a total last year of about $19500, in insurance premuins. Not cheap by no means. But we were paying $24000 before I took it over, for less coverage.

James Mackessy <jmackess at twcny.rr.com> wrote:  Paul,
I hope you keep this on-list as it is a relevant topic. We are holding a
one
day show, mostly for modelers, but we do steam a portable and some smaller
boilers. As you mention, the recent trend is towards "event insurance",
instead
of a yearly policy. My insurance people are trying to help, but, truth be
told,
they don't know a boiler from a beer can and really have no idea of what to
do with this request. Keep us posted as to your progress, and Good Luck!
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy