[AT] A long shot--Wisconsin part

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Jun 30 09:09:50 PDT 2006

On 29 Jun 2006 at 23:32, DAVIESW739 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/29/2006 12:16:02 A.M.  Pacific Daylight Time,
> mrreg_99 at hotmail.com writes:
> That being said, my  preferred method for the repair of cast iron is brazing,
> be it with brass,  silver, or with cast iron filler, it just seems to "work"
> better. Just  remember, clean, clean, clean, and plenty of quality flux, and
> of course  never forget that brazing is dependent on capillary action, it is
> not a soft  weld.
>
> This is just my opinion, I hope it is of some  help   ........ Mike
>
> Mike I agree with you on this I have  repaired lots of cast iron and cast
> steel parts with Brazing or Silver solder.  The later being the strongest and
> used on parts that need the extra stregth.
>
> Walt Davies

	One application where it seems to help to braze the parts instead
of stick welding them is when you are working on parts that are fully
soaked in grease or oil. Since you heat the whole part up quite hot it seems
to cook the oil out better and it is maybe easier to spread the weld out over a
 wider surface on some parts. Old corn picker sprockets jump to mind...
 ugh! They were often porous crappy cast. Made out of old stoves and
bath tubs I guess.    <(^¿^)>

--
"farmer"

I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack
me at once.   <(^¿^)>

Refurbished Shopsmith's
Good used SPT's
http://www.indiana-robinson.0catch.com/