[AT] A long shot--Wisconsin part Brazing and cast iron

Mike Reggie mrreg_99 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 30 01:26:50 PDT 2006

  Sure John, The method I use after I've sanded and cleaned the parts is to
apply the flux,I prefer the paste type, usually with an acid swab to all the
areas that will be brazed, the same way you would apply soldering paste to
copper plumbing pipes you are about to sweat.  I always have a tub of
brazing flux on hand,[I always get the white flux so it can also be used for
silver slodering as well] and it doesn't matter if sits around and gets old
and dries up, all you have to do is add water and mix it up, I actually tend
to over-thin it so it spreads well and is easier to get in all the joint
areas.
I always pre flux the parts weather I'm using the flux covered rods or the
bare ones, the only difference being that as I'm flowing the rod into the
joint, I'd be periodically dipping the bare rod into the flux. I guess the
powdered flux is ok too, just not as easy to use. I've heard older guys
talking about using ordinary borax as flux, but I've always had good success
with the way I do it so I  stick with it, and that is the method I use no
matter what the materials are, stainless, brass, cast iron, steel, copper,
etc. In fact, this very afternoon I had to  machine out and counterbore a
cast iron pump endbell, turn and fit a stainless steel sleeve and braze it
in, and I did it as I describe above  with very satisfactory results.

  Again, try to keep in mind that what is happening in the joint is
dependent upon capillary action more akin to sweating plumbing pipes,
nothing like gas welding muffler pipes.

I hope this helps ....... Mike