[AT] Generator--doing funny things

Bustedtractor at aol.com Bustedtractor at aol.com
Sun Jun 18 22:38:37 PDT 2006

Tom stated what I had inferred in my earlier e-mail regarding  generator
speeds. The generator must run at it's rated operating speed to  produce a 60
hertz (used to be 60 cycle) voltage. This speed will usually be  governed to
produce 3600 or 1800 RPMs depending on the generator's design.  A motor running off
the generator will spin a slightly lower RPM due to  slippage. The motor
slips and produces torque as a result of the design of the  motor windings. (There
are some large motors that run at synchronous speeds,  3600 RPMs, for
instance, but they are not covered in engineering 101.)

I am also from the old school in that I had a career as an electronic tech
on Air Force F-102 radar systems that were mostly vacuum tube. In college, we
first studied vacuum tube theory and then moved on to solid state. The text
books thought it was easier to teach the subject in that sequence. Now, I am
mostly working on tractors with a magneto, 4 plug wires, and nothing else
electrical. That's fine with me.

Will in MN

-------------------------------1150695517

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2912" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>Tom stated what I had inferred in my earlier e-mail regarding=20
generator speeds. The generator must run at it's rated operating speed to=20
produce a 60 hertz (used to be 60 cycle) voltage. This speed will usually be=
=20
governed to produce 3600 or 1800 RPMs depending on the generator's desi=
gn.=20
A motor running off the generator will spin a slightly lower RPM due to=20
slippage. The motor slips and produces torque as a result of the design of t=
he=20
motor windings. (There are some large motors that run at synchronous speeds,=
=20
3600 RPMs, for instance, but they are not covered in engineering 101.)</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I am also from the old school in that I had a career as an electronic t=
ech=20
on Air Force F-102 radar systems that were mostly vacuum tube. In college, w=
e=20
first studied vacuum tube theory and then moved on to solid state. The text=20
books thought it was easier to teach the subject in that sequence. Now, I am=
=20
mostly working on tractors with a magneto, 4 plug wires, and nothing el=
se=20
electrical. That's fine with me.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Will in MN</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>