[AT] Generator--doing funny things

Thomas O. Mehrkam tomehrkam at houston.rr.com
Sat Jun 17 05:59:01 PDT 2006

Under load it does not run at speed of the magnetic field. The load
causes it to run a little slower.

Example a two pole 60hz motor would be expected to run at 3600 rpm. In
reality under the rated load it will run about 3450. This is what will
said. The reduction of RPM is caused by slippage. The armature is not
keeping up with the field.

PS: I am one of those silicon Engineers. But I remember Magnetic
Amplifiers, Vacuum tubes and induction motors. In fact I do not mess
with silicon much anymore. Mostly I write software. One small
microprocessor can replace boards full of electronics.