[AT] conventional or electronic ignition

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Wed Jun 14 19:52:52 PDT 2006

I'm going to go in a slightly different direction here. I don't know which
ignition system is better, but I am going to guess the problem is too many
short running times and to small a load. My brother has a forklift that
came with a business he bought. It is based on a Ford tractor and does use
some oil. He was changing one or two plugs a week. Because it was getting
old and was a little clumsy he decided to buy a second one (used). The one
he bought was a little smaller but is LP which never fouls plugs. Now that
the LP unit does over 95% of the work and the gas one only does the big
jobs where it runs longer and works harder he has not had a plug foul in
over two years. Years ago when we cultivated slow the first couple of times
after 3 or 4 days the tractor would start missing. We never changed plugs
but would hook on to a harrow and work it hard. For about 20 minutes it
would miss and backfire but all of a sudden it would clear up and run
perfect; that is until we cultivated with it for a few more days. This
probably doesn't help your problem, but I would guess if it were always
warmed up and worked hard  it would not cause a problem.
Greg Hass