[AT] Shale or gravel?

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Jun 11 15:04:14 PDT 2006

I am in the process of leveling an area for an eventual animal shelter (or
barn) and am wondering about the suitability of shale as the base for the
barn and section of the barnyard nearest the barn.  Does well compacted
shale drain as well as gravel or "run-of-crusher", or is it more or less
impervious to water when packed?

"Run of bank" gravel would cost about $5.50/cubic yard delivered.  The shale
would be loaded free and deliverery is about half the distance, costing me
about $1 a cubic yard delivered.  The contractor that just excavated our
pond would be the supplier in either case.  He has a gravel bed about 7
miles down the road and will soon be excavating for a detention pond that
will require moving the removed material (much of it shale) off site.  Since
he also has the road contract, he will be hauling gravel past our place and
returning empty.  This way he can return with a load of shale and dump it
here on the way back to the gravel.

Is shale a good choice, or should I just use the gravel the way I had
planned.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.  For example, would shale be
likely to cut animal's hoofs?  Does it drain, or does water tend to run off
instead of pass through?
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC One Seventy diesel