[Farmall] International 330 Utility

farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com
Thu Jun 1 04:55:42 PDT 2006

Actually the 330U is a mix of 300U, 350U components and the 340 engine (same used
in some crawlers - C135). My info comes from the IH 330 specifications manual and
owning several 340U ('58,'59 & '61) and a 330U ('57) tractors.

The production was held up for the "squared off" style tractors (problems with the 460
or 560 / six cylinder engines?) so the 330U was built until the 340 was produced. It was
not a model progression from 300 to 350.

They are neat tractors (I personally like the red and cream color combo and rounded
grille / tinwork) but I am surprised how many things are "beefed up" on the 340. They
made lots of changes and my 340s seem to weigh a good bit more. Many non-IH (and
quite a few red power folks) haven't heard of a 330 and at first glance often think I
have a Ford or Ferguson with a funny paint job.

Words of wisdom - check the steering!!! If this was a loader tractor check it several
times. My 340s and the 330 with manual steering had leaked all lube from the boxes
long ago and the steering is pretty difficult and sloppy. I found a great thread about
repair on ATIS (I think) - email me directly if you'd like the link. ...my 340s with power
steering don't have this problem (power steering will spoil you...).

--
Thought for the day:
Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something.