Spam/Phish> Re: [AT] Detroits, now low sulfur fuel

DieselBob at aol.com DieselBob at aol.com
Mon Jul 31 20:28:15 PDT 2006

The refining process that takes the sulfur out can adversely affect the
lubricity, however the industry cam to agreement to control the lubricity to a
level of 520 HFRR or less to prevent problems.  This is the first time this was
regulated at all!  The 520 value was one that the engine and fuel system
manufacturers agreed was acceptable to prevent problems.  The fuels industry agreed
to start manufacturing fuel to meet the spec in Jan. 2005.  A few states got
exceptions but most were compliant my the middle of last year and I think they
all were by Jan of 2006.  There are some fuel systems that may have some seal
problems with the new fuel.  It can cause aged and swollen nitrile seals to
shrink.  Most fuel systems have been using viton seals and have no problems.
This was also a problem in 1994 when the low sulfur fuel was introduced.

The Duramax pump and injectors are in good shape for the new fuel for all
model years sold.

Detroit Diesel cleaned up the leaks in the late 70s or early 80s with new
gaskets and the cast rocker covers.  When I work there were even rumors of rusted
engines!

-------------------------------1154402895

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1528" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>The refining process that takes the sulfur out can adversely affect the=
 lubricity, however the industry cam to agreement to control the lubricity t=
o a level of 520 HFRR or less to prevent problems.  This is the first t=
ime this was regulated at all!  The 520 value was one that the engine a=
nd fuel system manufacturers agreed was acceptable to prevent problems.&nbsp=
; The fuels industry agreed to start manufacturing fuel to meet the spec in=20=
Jan. 2005.  A few states got exceptions but most were compliant my the=20=
middle of last year and I think they all were by Jan of 2006.  There ar=
e some fuel systems that may have some seal problems with the new fuel.&nbsp=
; It can cause aged and swollen nitrile seals to shrink.  Most fue=
l systems have been using viton seals and have no problems.  This was a=
lso a problem in 1994 when the low sulfur fuel was introduced.  </=

<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>The Duramax pump and injectors are in good shape for the new fuel for a=
ll model years sold.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Detroit Diesel cleaned up the leaks in the late 70s or early 80s with n=
ew gaskets and the cast rocker covers.  When I work there were even rum=
ors of rusted engines!  </DIV></BODY></HTML>