[Ford-ferguson] Re: leaky rear axle seal

RUSSGMAN at aol.com RUSSGMAN at aol.com
Mon Jul 31 20:02:05 PDT 2006

Noticed a puddle of gear oil on the inside of right tire rim and figure I
need to do some seal repair.  Never done this before so I had some  questions

I pulled the tire and then the brake drum and the lower brake assembly and
shoe was coated in gear oil

1 Is the bottom brake shoe toast or can I somehow clean off the brake  shoe
and remove the gear oil?

Pulled off the brakes and assorted parts.  I noticed what I think is  called
the anchor plate has a series of seals in it and they are obviously  bad.  The
plate has bolts through it and then through the brake backing  plate.  The
bolts seem to keep these two together by virtue of being  pressed through them
both.

2  how do I remove  these seals?  Do I need to separate  these two parts or
can I knock the seal out from the 'back' side?

The gear oil continues to drip out and I assume there is a seal around the
axle within the axle housing. I havn't pulled the axle as yet because I need to
 find something to catch the gear oil I assume I will release when I pull the
 axle.

3.  Exactly where is this inner seal and how do I remove it?  Is  it attached
to the axle or pressed into the axle housing?

4.  Are there other seals I am not aware of????

  I noticed the bearings had no grease on them, I assume that the leak
washed it all off.

5.  Is there a particular wheel bearing grease which is preferred  by the
group?  Exactly how does one 'pack' these bearings?

6.  Since I am not sure how long the grease has been gone how can I  tell if
the bearings are OK or at least reasonably OK?

I am going by the IT manual but it doesn't address these particular
questions.  The exploded views are very helpful but it's not the same as  getting my
hands into the problem.  Is there a preferred aftermarket  manufacturer for
these parts or is the New Holland dealer ship down the road  from my work
convienient and good enough?

7.  Is there anything else I need to inspect while I have this  apart??

 I assume I will be working on the other side sometime in the future  and
would like to get this taken care of with good long life parts.

Russ Davis
'50 8N
later model
side distributor

-------------------------------1154401325

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2912" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>Noticed a puddle of gear oil on the inside of right tire rim and figure=
 I=20
need to do some seal repair.  Never done this before so I had some=20
questions</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I pulled the tire and then the brake drum and the lower brake assembly=20=
and=20
shoe was coated in gear oil</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>1 Is the bottom brake shoe toast or can I somehow clean off the br=
ake=20
shoe and remove the gear oil? </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Pulled off the brakes and assorted parts.  I noticed what I think=20=
is=20
called the anchor plate has a series of seals in it and they are obviously=20
bad.  The plate has bolts through it and then through the brake backing=
=20
plate.  The bolts seem to keep these two together by virtue of being=20
pressed through them both.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>2  how do I remove  these seals?  Do I need to separate=20
these two parts or can I knock the seal out from the 'back' side?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>The gear oil continues to drip out and I assume there is a seal around=20=
the=20
axle within the axle housing. I havn't pulled the axle as yet because I need=
 to=20
find something to catch the gear oil I assume I will release when I pull the=
=20
axle.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>3.  Exactly where is this inner seal and how do I remove it? =
 Is=20
it attached to the axle or pressed into the axle housing?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>4.  Are there other seals I am not aware of????</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>  I noticed the bearings had no grease on them, I assume that the=20=
leak=20
washed it all off.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>5.  Is there a particular wheel bearing grease which is prefe=
rred=20
by the group?  Exactly how does one 'pack' these bearings? </=

<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>6.  Since I am not sure how long the grease has been gone how can=20=
I=20
tell if the bearings are OK or at least reasonably OK?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I am going by the IT manual but it doesn't address these particular=20
questions.  The exploded views are very helpful but it's not the same a=
s=20
getting my hands into the problem.  Is there a preferred aftermarket=20
manufacturer for these parts or is the New Holland dealer ship down the road=
=20
from my work convienient and good enough?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>7.  Is there anything else I need to inspect while I have this=20
apart?? </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> I assume I will be working on the other side sometime in the futu=
re=20
and would like to get this taken care of with good long life parts.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Russ Davis</DIV>
<DIV>'50 8N</DIV>
<DIV>later model</DIV>
<DIV>side distributor</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>