[AT] GM Flex Fuel vehicles

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Jul 31 19:18:51 PDT 2006

Charlie,
  There are three major differences in them. One is the gas cap itself.
Besides being Yellow it has a different vent valve in it because alcohol
is hygroscopic so the venting is set up to only vent pressure. The
second is the fuel line assembly. There is a 700.00 flex fuel sensor in
the line that tells the computer what the mix in the tank is. The sensor
is the same for all the flex fuel vehicles made from 2002 and up. The
line itself is also made of a different material. The last change is in
the injectors. Since alcohol has less energy than gasoline they
increased the flow rate for the flex vehicles to accommodate the higher
rate of fuel flow.

Now for the REAL problem. It is Illegal to convert any unleaded fueled
vehicle to a different fuel unless you have the DOT do a test on the
entire vehicle and can prove that it meets or exceeds the emissions
standards for that vehicle type. That test is about 10,000.00 to have
done. There are NO approved kits or methods out there to convert a
vehicle to E-85 or other fuel. Get caught driving a converted vehicle
and you get to pay a BIG fine for tampering with the emissions system of
the vehicle.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/conversion.php