[AT] Ralph's website

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sat Jul 29 07:19:08 PDT 2006

George, you just reminded me of one of the funniest things I've ever
seen while traveling.  In Amsterdam, just a short distance south of the
main part of town, out close to the Vincent Van Gogh museum, there is a
new shopping center that has a colonnade surrounding the main entrance
to it.  Carved in stone over the heads of the shoppers is a much more
graphic version of that saying -- in Latin.  I have a Dutch friend
living here in town and I asked him about why it was there.  He says it
was probably put on the sketch that the architect made for the shopping
center and somehow got transferred into reality when it was built.  I'm
not good at Latin so I don't remember the whole phrase, but it starts
off -- Non Uritat... in letters about two feet high.  I thought at first
that it was an admonition to shoppers about how they should conduct
themselves in public, but it's not.

Larry