[AT] Walt new Truck PICS

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Fri Jul 28 16:09:14 PDT 2006

The words " wheel wells "  bring terror to my mind. I'm sure there is a
right way and a wrong way, but I don't know enough to make an informed
decision so I will just tell my story and  let it go at that. When I was
very young, my dad loaned his Super C and baler to an uncle to bale hay.
Shortly after, we got a good rain which stopped haying for several days. My
dad went over to my uncles to get the tractor to either cultivate or haul
manure ( at that time this was our only tractor). My uncle was 10 miles
away but my dad wasn't worried as he could drive it home in an hour.
However, my 2 uncles; each had different farms but many times worked
together, told my dad to load it on their truck an they could haul it home
in 20 minutes. My dad didn't want to but they twisted his arm  and he
agreed. I have no idea how the truck was built but as he was loading the
tractor, my dad got up against the wheel wells. They were still wet from
the rain so he gave the tractor a little gas to get over them. The tractor
slid sideways off the wheelwells and off the side of the truck. As the
tractor was falling and rolling over, my one uncle who was standing beside
the truck, managed to grab my dads hand and pull him off the seat just as
the tractor hit the ground. They then spent the next 2 or 3 days fixing the
tractor. The fall smashed the steering wheel, bent the steering shaft,
broke the bracket that held the steering shaft, smashed the muffler as well
as breaking the exhaust pipe out of the manifold. Also the air cleaner pipe
was bent; the part that holds the steering post and instruments as well as
the touch levers was bent and broken which also bent the control levers for
the touch control. There was probably other stuff wrong that I don't
remember. Needless to say, when the tractor was fixed, my dad DROVE it home.
Greg Hass