[Farmall] Farmall 340 Not starting

Larry Hardesty ebony51 at frontiernet.net
Wed Jul 26 11:18:12 PDT 2006

Roger, Yes I mean the "Secondary cable," as the IH Blue Ribbon Manual calls
it, that runs from the center of the coil to the center of the distributor.

I checked the coil (so I thought) by
1) Pulling the secondary cable out of the center of the socket of the
distributor and slipping the rubber nipple back from the terminal.  I then
put it within 1/8 to 3/16 inch of frame of tractor (I think a couple
places..oil filter and somewhere else).  Each time I then cranked the
tractor with the ignition switch on.  I did not see a spark between the
cable terminal and the frame.

2) I tried the way the IH Blue Ribbon Manual recommends by pulling the
secondary cable out of the center of the socket of the distributor and
slipping the rubber nipple back from the terminal.  I then put it within 1/8
to 3/16 inch of the distributor primary terminal. I then cranked the tractor
with the ignition switch on.  Again I did not see a spark between the cable
terminal and the primary terminal.

Both results lead back the faulty coil, but I just put a new one on.  I am
heading to the Case-IH dealer this afternoon to see what they say and if
they can test the coil. If not them, then an electrical shop.  I suppose the
new coil could be bad, but it also leads to the question as to why should it
be bad...bad to start with or something wrong with tractor wiring to make it
go bad....or is there something entirely somewhere else creating this
result.

Still puzzled in Nebraska

Thanks

Larry