[AT] Question on Haybine (Swather?) knives

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Mon Jul 24 17:07:15 PDT 2006

Ray-
When we had the NewHolland pitman mower, it had smooth knives and they were
sharpened every 10 acres or so.  When my dad traded, he got one of those
newfangled IH balanced head mowers that had serrated blades.  They would
pickup smaller stones and somehow cut most if not all of the guard off
before snapping.  I don't remember if they were top or bottom serrated and
my dad was ready to take the new mower back and get his old one.  Dealer
ended up trading the spare knife set for the other type and giving him a
complete set of the other type of serrated blades and rivets to switch the
blades on the cutter bar in use.  The cut guard problem went away and I
don't remember having to sharpen blades any more.  I don't think the spare
knife set was ever used and it went with the mower when he traded for an MC
rotary scythe.  -- now that's another story!  I guess the point is the right
type of serration is a real gem, your dealer might have an opinion in this
matter that would be useful for your local conditions - which aren't all
that distant from our old place in Jordanville.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC One Seventy diesel
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H