[Steam-engine] heating surface

Robert Smith bobsmith5 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 24 11:11:33 PDT 2006

Dan Donaldson wrote:

> Is the heating surface the inside or outside of the pipe?  Now that I
> think about it the outside of the pipe makes more since.

For the kind of 'steam engineering' that we do, it hardly matters.  But,
yes, the thickness of the tube does matter if you are doing high
precision analysis of a many-tubed heat exchanger.  In that context, the
I.D. is the surface exposed to the heat so that is what should matter.

    Happy steamin'

        Bob Smith