[AT] OT Hay question

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Tue Jul 11 18:05:52 PDT 2006

I am still intrigued by a hay drying cycle that takes 5 days or more.  We
would never have been able to harvest quality hay as it very likely to rain
in any 5 - 7 day period around here during prime harvest time.  How many
tons of dry hay per acre are you making?  We ran around 3- 4.5 tons of
alfalfa (mostly) in the first cutting 150 - 200 ea. 40 Lb. bales per acre.
We would use a mower - conditioner but always spread it out full width,
swaths are just not built for efficient drying of wet hay in our conditions.
Same problem with raked hay that got rained on - too long to dry and it lost
a lot of quality.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC One Seventy diesel