[AT] OT Hay question

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Mon Jul 10 05:53:07 PDT 2006

Tom, here in the flats we start baling at night now mostly. This allows a
little more baling to take place. But that means that you have to have
working lights.... Sometimes that is a problem. No problem on NOT borrowing
my meter, just an offer for what is an indespensible tool to me when baling
as I would often bale too dry before and lose some needed leaves.
Interestingly I tended to have fewer problems with too wet unless it was
getting moister during the baling time in the day. But that came about from
losing too wet hay before.
    In answer to the New York question, a swather is a self-propelled
mower-conditioner that either has no crimper or a limited crimper of up to 4
feet wide. They range from 14-18 feet of cut and are the tool used for most
western hay cutting because of their speed and air-conditioned cabs. They
were first used in the 1950's or thereabouts. They are not to be confused
with the windrowers used in the plains for swathing huge widths of grain for
faster drying (30' to 50' wide). As far as I know the windrowers were nearly
always pulled?
        Grant Brians
        Hollister CA