[AT] OT Hay question

toma toma at risingnet.net
Sun Jul 9 10:07:31 PDT 2006

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, Grant Brians wrote:

> Tom, you live in an area that it makes sense to make your own hay. I would
> second Walt's suggestion of getting a hay moisture meter. Would you like to
> borrow mine? It works very well and takes the guesswork out of the process.

Thanks for the offer Grant but I think I will hold off at least until next
year. I am going to try the twisting method.

The biggest problem we have here is getting wet fogs before raking or
after raking and before baling. This makes the hay turn black and it gets
brittle when it dries out. This is why it makes sense to rake up big
windrows. I used to shock my hay years ago and the former owners of the
55W used to shock their hay and buck it to the baler and bale stationary.

Oat Hay is usually ready to cut the middle of June here, for the last 10
years or so it seems like we get a rain, last year we got about an inch
and everyone had to turn their windrows.

Based on what Cecil said I am going to try putting up hay on the sappy
side next time. Have you ever made hay from Harding Grass?

It all depends on how the baling goes starting tomorrow, if all goes well
I may try cutting some.