[AT] OT - Laptop recommendations - Update

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Jul 3 17:33:40 PDT 2006

One wireless router is all you need, Charlie.  It can be one hooked to
your desktop system or to your printer, and then everything else can be
either hardwired to the router or connected via Wi-Fi.  A reason for
wanting to hook to a router at your printer would be if you want to
send/receive Fax items without going through your computer (or even
having your computer turned on).

Your router must be wired (through your cable) to your wide-band
service.  Everything else in your household can be either hardwired or
via Wi-Fi.  Your new laptop probably has Wi-Fi built in so that you can
sit in your Lazyboy with your feet propped up and do all your computing.
Just do your best to keep your laptop cool so it doesn't burn itself
out.  There's lots of jokes and old wives tales out there about
sterilization hazards to men from laptops, but they do get uncommonly
hot.  I invested in a lap desk and a simple collapsible angled stand so
air can circulate naturally to the computer.

The next thing you'll be wanting to find are all the free Wi-Fi hotspots
in the world.  There are directories full of these locations.  Do a
little Googling and you'll find them.  BTW, there are both free and
subscription directories, so take a pick.  The bottom line is that all
Panera Bread Co. sites are free, some McDonalds have free access, most
Comfort Inns are free, many public library systems are free, and many
coffee houses (but not Starbucks) are free.  At many of these locations,
it isn't even necessary to go inside the building.  Pull into the
parking lot, plug your laptop into the cigarette lighter (for a stable
power source) and surf the 'net to your heart's content.  I invested in
a Targa Scout (around $20).  That small device tells me whether or not
there is a Wi-Fi connection available, but it doesn't tell me whether or
not it's free.

FWIW, I found out at a recent tractor show that one of the cheap
inverters from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight is powerful enough to run
both my laptop and my HP All-in-one simultaneously.  So whereas I was
shaking my head in disbelief a year or so ago about stories of people
cruising neighborhoods in their vans full of electronics and looking for
DSL connections, now it turns out that everybody who owns a "modern"
laptop
Computer has the capability -- even me.

The bottom line on this is: invoke security measures on your home Wi-Fi
system, and DON'T USE THE DEFAULT USER NAME AND PASSWORD.

Larry