[AT] OT:(now tv)

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Jan 28 18:42:42 PST 2006

Ralph:

Yep, I remember the test patterns and the test tone. No 24 hour TV like we
are so used to today. I also remember the waiting period for the tube based
electronics to warm up. Solid state electronics changed all that. Remember
the service men that would come out with their container of replacement
tubes, etc? And their tube tester!

I started designing solid state based circuits in 1962 in industry after
being primarily trained in Vacuum Tube theory. The improved performance and
significantly improved reliability was so pronounced that I consider it one
of the major milestones in technology development. If the consumers knew,
when the first TV sets came out, how close they were to potentially failing,
no one would have bought one. It is a bit amazing how well they worked in
their time.  But then servicing equipment was accepted. Today, if a piece of
electronics fails it gets thrown away.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!