[AT] Message delays - maybe an answer

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Wed Jan 25 22:39:05 PST 2006

Something I just saw as an email from a Yahoo group that I'm a member of.  Might
help explain the message delays but then again maybe not.  I'm seeing lots of
delays ESPECIALLY in non-ATIS mail.

David
NW NC

<snip>
Hi Folks,

Should have posted this earlier, but I wanted to let everyone know
that we are aware of the delays in email delivery that are affecting
many groups right now. The problem is not related to any of the
database and hardware work we were doing earlier in the year.
Rather, the primary cause is the "My Wife virus
(http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_138027.htm), which has caused a
huge spike in the number of emails sent to Yahoo! Groups. This spike
has gone beyond the capacity of our current systems to handle, which
is causing the delays in email delivery.

We have already taken two steps to address the issue, which has
begun to reduce the number of delays:
- We are dropping (i.e. not delivering) all outgoing email that
includes the virus (in other words, we are not sending infected
messages to groups).
- We have added additional server capacity

And we are planning to increase that capacity even more. However,
until the virus has fully played itself out or more ISPs have taken
steps to reduce the amount of email they are sending to us (by
dropping messages that contain the virus rather than forcing us to
do it), there may continue to be some delays.

Our apologies for any inconvenience.

- Gordon
Yahoo! Groups Team