[AT] OT: Flashback - Early Farmers Building County Roads

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 25 09:00:35 PST 2006

Chuck
I have been wanting to mention the local situation in central KS; glad you
started the subject.
We had a team of mules; Dad and Grandpa considered them better for our needs
(than horses).  The Arkansas River was four miles from our farm.  The
township built and maintained the roads; they had the first Cat crawler that
I remember.   I can remember Dad telling about using the team and one of our
farm wagons (box was approx 40" x 8' x 16") for hauling river sand and rough
spreading it on the regraded roads. In most areas, the river banks were less
than ten feet high.
The two things I remember Dad telling:    The wagon boxes were modified so
many of the 2" bottom boards could be pulled out to the side and thus unload
most of the sand.  The other thing:    In process of loading the wagon (by
hand spade), one did not shove the spade into the sand with one motion, then
lift spade and throw sand into wagon box with a second motion.   Loading was
all one motion; start the spade into the sand near one foot and continue
spade up toward wagon and throw sand into wagon box.   That would be ok for
a load or two, but all day or maybe all week??
Herb