[AJD] Aftermarket Power Steering???

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Jan 21 14:41:29 PST 2006

I at one time had a Char Lynn(sp?) aftermarket Power Steering unit mounted
on a 1949 A and now also have a Behlen aftermarket Power Steering unit on a
1953 60 driven by a Behlen version of the live hydraulic pump between the
Governor and the Distributor. Of this limited sample of two, the Behlen unit
works much better. However, the motor is much larger and requires an
external oil reservoir tank which is really ugly. The Char Lynn pump was
mounted between the front frame rails behind the radiator and was driven by
the same belt that ran the generator. It too had an external reservoir but
was neatly nestled between the radiator and the tappet cover.  Looked to me
to be the same power steering unit used on automobiles or trucks. But both
have the two ugly external hoses to the motors.

Have any of you seen a way to mount the Behlen unit and external reservoir
so it isn't so ugly? Any pictures of a nice clean mounting? Mine works so
good I'm going to leave it on but I sure don't like the looks of it.

There is a picture of a Behlen unit mounted on a 1953 60 on eBay right now.
See eBay auction # 7583791267.

I am assuming this Behlen motor is also being driven by a pump between the
governor and the distributor, like mine, but the pictures are not clear. It
does show the ugly reservoir. The Behlen pump looks very similar to the JD
version. The 45 loader I'm sure is using up the live hydraulics of the
Power-Troll.

PS:  I continue to get a kick out of those of us who get exited about serial
#1 45 loader. Mine is serial #1 too. :-)  What it really identifies is the
Series 1 version. I was a bit startled when I first saw that on my 45 loader
too. But... the excitement didn't last long. :-)

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!

www.deerelegacy.com