[Steam-engine] Condensing Steam Cars

Jim Showers steamcar at hereintown.net
Thu Jan 19 16:13:16 PST 2006

    As there is a 1921 Condensing Stanlely out in the garage, I will explain
how it works.  First the cylinder oil is different because of steam pressure
(500-550# operating pressure) and the fact the steam is superheated.  Tallow
is not used in the cylinder oil.
    The condensed steam with oil goes back into the water supply tank.  When
adding water to the system, Stanley reccomended to continue adding water
until no floating oil comes out of the overflow pipe.  It was a problem with
condensing cars.
    I use oil absorbent sheets.  I insert one in the water tank with a short
length of fishing line attached so it can be removed.  It absorbs the
floating oil and very little returns to the boiler.  A sheet will last about
200 miles.  Some guys fabricate oil separators and place one before and
another after the condenser.  There is very little room available on my car
to do this.
Jim Showers
1911 Peerless TT
1921 Stanley 735B Touring