[AT] Old shop lathe motor-- motor questions for you "experts"

Bob Seith seithr at denison.edu
Thu Jan 19 11:13:09 PST 2006

Once upon a (very long) time ago, repulsion-induction motors were much
more common than they are now. I think maybe the technology behind
today's capacitor-start motors had not developed. They were common on
anything that had to start under even modest loads, such as water pumps,
table saws, and air compressors. I have several examples in my workshop,
all dating from before WW II. The smallest is a 1/6th hp Century that
probably weighs 25 pounds, while the largest is a 3/4 hp General
Electric that is so heavy I have to have a friend in to help move it.
They are all rated "continuous duty" and will run forever without
overheating -- so long as the bearings have oil.

They all have carbon brushes in their starting circuits, and this is
where most initially fail. The brushes wear out. But a little diligent
sleuthing can often uncover repair parts. I have an ancient behemoth
whose last patent date is 1913, and I still managed to find a set of
replacement brushes at an old motor shop. They were still wrapped in the
original oiled paper.

Steve (somebody) from Massachusetts used to post to this list, and he
explained this to me some time ago.

Bob Seith
1953 Cub