[AJD] Hansen extractor set

Tommy Wilson t17wilson at cox.net
Wed Jan 11 18:27:14 PST 2006

Well, the broken bolts on the top and bottom of the radiator of my AR
have been eating my lunch. Well, they're not so much broken as just
rusted away to the point that there was a nut left to take off. I
broke an easy out in one and broke a left hand drill bit in another.
But I did get one out! So I decided to go ahead and order the 35
piece set from Northern that was talked about here just after
Christmas. They came in this afternoon so I went to the shop after
supper. For a 5/16" bolt it says to drill a 3/16" hole the use the
3/16" extractor. I heated the piece with the torch thinking it might
help break the "rust bond". Drilled the 3/16" hole then put the 3/16"
extractor in. It promptly lifted the steel out leaving a slightly
larger than 3/16" hole. So I took the next size larger bit and then
the next size larger extractor. Guess what? It rung off! Now I have
an easy out in one hole, a drill bit in one hole and an extractor in
yet another hole. Hope you guys have better luck with this set. So
far I'm not too impressed.

Tommy Wilson
Ruston, LA
1950 IH H