[AT] Scales for antique tractors???

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Wed Jan 11 07:27:43 PST 2006

I don't believe that the portable scales the DOT uses would be accurate
enough for tractor pulling.   When I used to drive a truck DOT would let you
slide on the first 1 or 2 thousand lbs of overweight because they knew  the
portable scales were off because of being moved around and not being set up
on a perfectly flat surface.   The scales I mentioned earlier that are used
by loggers are a full platform scale but will only weigh one set of tandem
wheels.  A tractor trailer would weigh the front axle then the pulling
tandem then the trailer tandem and sum the weights.

Maybe if you got 4 of the individual wheel scales like DOT uses and placed
them on a flat slab such that all the tractors could use them without the
need to move them around you might get close enough to prevent a fight in
the pits.   Tractor pullers are interested in getting exactly to the right
weight.  Not plus or minus 10% or so.

Charlie