[AT] Ten Years Ago Today

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Jan 7 05:33:43 PST 2006

I remember that storm, Rob. I tried to clear my private lane with my old
Dodge pickup and got it stuck a mile from the house when I tried to back
up and got it hung up on a block of packed snow. It was a very long day,
and we ended up getting a local guy to come down the lane with his huge
Case skip loader (with chains on all 4 tires). He then pulled my truck
out, and I was able to finish up the lane and driveways. The snow was
too deep for the Ford 860 with back blade to run through, so I ended up
turning the blade around backwards  - my neck hurt for a week after, and
I never did that again! I got rid of the Dodge and replaced it with an
'87 Ford F350 mason dump with IH 6.9L engine and 8' western blade, and
that has never let me down. But I still use the 860 to do the clean-up
work and for one drive that is too steep even for the truck (I don't
have chains on the truck, but I do on the tractor). But I will never
again let the snow get ahead of me as I did that night - even if I have
to stay up all night and plow!

This has been a strange winter for us in the Northeast - below 0 early
in December, but above freezing since then. The constant freezing at
night and thawing during the day has played hell with the dirt road, and
the potholes have gotten really bad. Come the spring, and we will have a
LOT of serious repair work ahead of us.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
learn." -Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790); US politician and scientist.