[Farmall] 574 PTO

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon Jan 2 21:33:36 PST 2006

Thanks for setting me straight.  I've never had our tractors apart for that
reason.  From the way I was reading your post, for some unexplainable
reason I had visions of you trying to remove the 540 PTO and insert the
1000 rpm in the same opening.  I didn't think that sounded right.  I guess
I had horrible thoughts of you mistaking it for John Deere's system where
you actually do that.  (A real pain!)  On my brother's 4230 JD, you park
the front wheels in a shallow ditch (so transmission oil doesn't run out),
remove a snap ring from the PTO that is in the tractor, pull out the shaft,
then slide the other PTO into the same hole.  Internally a different set of
splines mesh, thus giving you a different speed.  Not, in my opinion, one
of John Deere's better ideas.  Thanks again for the clarification.

Greg Hass
 From Michigan's Thumb