[Farmall] 574 PTO

Timothy Wafer tsandwf at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 2 14:50:39 PST 2006

A while back I posted about wanting to add a 1000 RPM PTO shaft to my IH
574 tractor. Mine only came equipped with the 540 shaft. I acquired one
from a used parts place, part # 3113020R1 and today I finally got around
to installing it, or rather trying to install it.

Didn’t sound like too bad of a job from the advice I got and it indeed
wouldn’t have been if it had fit.

The new shaft seems to be identical to the old (with the addition of the
1000 RPM PTO end) in every respect except one. The notch in the shaft
where the roll pin goes to hold it into the clutch pack is about a ¼”
too far forward along with the port that would line up with the port in
the clutch pack. This I believe is the port for hydraulic fluid to
actuate the clutch. If I try to install it like this it binds everything up

Now I have the tractor apart and it’s the one I use to blow snow so I
don’t want it down for too long. I paid good money for the shaft. Did
they vary in this respect and I got the wrong one or is each one custom
fitted in this area?

It might be possible to turn the shaft over and cut a new notch and
drill a new port that lines up.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Tim