[AT] 3Ph, etc.

Bigdog dbigdog at columbus.rr.com
Sun Jan 1 15:36:56 PST 2006

I don't usually get into these discussions but I do have a little background in this area.
Voltage = pressure - the correct term for voltage is electro-motive force.  It is the potential for energy.

Amps = current flow.  Current flow is dependent upon two things - voltage (potential) and resistance.

If you want to equate this to water, consider this - (voltage) / water pressure  = 1000 psi.  (amps) flow or gpm. is a function of the water pressure and the size of the discharge pipe (resistance).

A larger conductor is capable of carrying more flow but it will only carry more flow if there is sufficient pressure to create the flow.

Power is a function of potential (voltage) and flow (amps)  and equates to consumption or usage.

Bigdog