[AT] New Live-in Companion

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Fri Feb 17 07:57:47 PST 2006

    Thanks guys for the comments. I have had dogs most of my
life and have been without for about 6 or 7 years since I lost
my last one. He was half Miniature Collie and half Australian.
We were so close that when I lost him I swore I would never have
another dog. Had onother one many years ago that was Half
Australian and half Border Collie. This dog had am amazing
herding instinct that he herded the cats at the barn and when I
started raising hogs he would herd them. I came home from work
and about 30 pigs had found their way out of the barn and he
kept them herded around the barn till I got home. He was very
fast and a fast thinker. He was a rock hound and was always
carrying rocks into the yard and I always had to make a check
for rocks before I could mow.
    I was walking with bandy yesterday back my airstrip when he
discovered a field mouse in the plowed ground. He watched that
thing for 15 minutes and never made the first attempt to kill
it. Just was amusement to him. When it finally started to rain
he ran for the house.
    Aussies are a very smart breed and will learn well.
    Hope he doesn't herd too many tractors my way. The checkbook
won't stand much of that.

                    Gene