[AT] Am I crazy?

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Thu Feb 23 20:46:35 PST 2006

Larry:
You are correct.  These "shovels" replaced the right and left single-wing
style of teeth on the cultivator.  What made them so good was that the
front blade cleaned the junk away from the row and leveled it, allowing the
second blade to move a precise amount of soil and evenly shove a precise
amount of it up against the plant and under the leaves, covering most of
the weeds.  For years we used a 2-row cultivator on a Super-C and used
shields.  The problem with them was that sometimes they would have room
underneath and still cover the crop, or sometimes the shield would be
running on a ridge of dirt left by the harrow and no dirt would be thrown
to cover the weeds.  Another problem was the shields would always plug with
either a corn root or a piece of sod and drag, so the last few years my dad
had a piece of wood 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" and approximately 7-ft. long attached
to each shield and then going up and resting on the pipe the headlights
fastened to.  This way, when a shield plugged, you could grab the stick and
and shake whichever shield was giving the problem to clear it out without
having to stop.  Unfortunately, the set of weed controllers on my Cub
doesn't work as well as I'd like to see them work.  This is simply because
by just doing my garden they never get that nice, shiny finish to allow the
dirt to slide like it should.

Greg Hass
 From the tip of Michigan's Thumb