[Farmall] PTO Wobble

kbecker kbecke6 at cox.net
Thu Feb 16 00:11:18 PST 2006

Hey thanks for the answer John
Yeah I recon I forgot the ID part. It would help..
I changed my Signature that should help for the NEXT time I forget to mention.
Anyway I am working on a 44 H she was in pretty bad shape when I got her
and every
time I look seems like I find something else wrong. Such is life with and
old girl I recon I
will not be happy till I find the time to do a complete overhaul on one or
all of my tractors.
As for the PTO I looked at it again today after reading your post.
There is no over running clutch, nor pulley just a straight shaft with a
short adapter I assume is for
size or tooth count. I haven't figured that one out yet either. The shaft
would not move by hand,
I even put a very short length of pipe on the end for leverage. I must
assume then that the end bearing
is good for now.. How long it will last with a wobbling shaft is an
unknown. So the problem then is either
an internal problem inside the gearbox or a bent shaft. I did not get the
dial gage out but used a pocket ruler.
It is more like a total deflection of 1/16 inch or 1/32 in each direction.
It sure looked ALOT more than that
when it was turning. I am sure No wobble is a good wobble but I hope it
last thru the spring anyway. I need to
Use this tractor IF I ever get finished working on her. After reading the
posts last week on the transmission leak I
removed the cover and stuck my head in that hole. I did not like what I
saw. Lots of grease dirt and oil running everywhere.
I hate oil leaks with a passion. Oh yeah the clutch hand access cover was
missing and the ring gear did not look good either.
I took the degreaser and pressure washer to it late this evening. I hope I
didn't blow out any seals or get water in the transmission.
I thought of those two options as I was wrapping up the hose on the
pressure washer.
Tomorrow we will see what we find..
Thanks again.