[Farmall] Mott mower

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 16:16:52 PST 2006

DM-
  I have a Mott flail which I use with my 1957 Lo-Boy.  This one is  rear model which attaches with the fast hitch.  There are also  flail units which mid-mount...I have had both and I see your point  about not losing the ability to haul a cart without the "on and off" of  a rear style unit.
  Either way...here are the sides of the flail mower coin

  The "good"...
  The knives bound off of objects such as rocks/stones or "junk" such as  cans and litter.  A rotary mower is much less "forgiving" in this  regard.
  The "bad"...
  They can "bog down" if the grass/weeds are thick or "wirey".   Enough longish material can wrap around the shaft and (literally) bring  things to a dead stop until the operator removes the tangle.  This  can also mean having to "mow twice" which is to say once higher and  again lower.
  The "ugly"...
  I, too, used to keep far too many horses (don't take this the wrong way  but the right number of horses to have in zero ;-)  That having  been said, if you "run over" wire (electric fence, barbed, whatever)  you will have one devil of a time extracting same from the shaft.   I kid you not...this is a nightmare!
  The knives are not cheap and a pain to replace (time consuming) though this not be done too frequently.
  I love my Cubs and the Motts (mine is old and very, very heavy) are  very solid machines.  Watch out for worn bearings or excess "play"  in the shaft.
  Six acres is not too huge, but it is big enough.  I am assuming  that the Mott set up your are considering is in the 60" or less  range.  That swath will NOT make quick work of your land but I am  sure that you realize this.
  If the price is reasonable (I don't know the year nor condition of the  unit(s) nor do I know where you are located) you could enjoy this set  up.  An "H" is a big tall tractor and much more of a workhorse  than any Cub.
  That is all I can tell you.  I have flails and, for certain applications, they are great.  Then again.....
  Jim Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com

DANNY MC FEE <danmcfee at sbcglobal.net> wrote:  There is a farmall cub for sale locally with a mott mower. I need to  get a mower to trim up my horse pastures. I have been using my riding  mower but the 6 acres that I am mowing is too much for it . I am not  familiar with the flail type mowers. I need to keep the thistles down  and would like to keep the grass looking reasonable and keep the Length  down. I have the choice of going after this mower or buying a finish  mower for my Farmall H. I do like the idea of the belly mower as I can  pull the manure cart without demounting the mower. Does anyone have any  feedback on the mott mowers Thanks for the input.

--0-791452558-1140043990=:52023