[AT] Packing question

Carl Tatlock carllary at Surfglobal.net
Mon Feb 13 11:00:02 PST 2006

Kevin wrote:

>I lost a tank of gas on the ground because of the packing in the fuel shutoff valve on the  560 sediment bowl.  This new type packing material wont hold up to gas. I think it used to be cotton ? Anyone have this problem let me know, hate to buy a new sediment bowl ?
>kevin

Hi Kevin-- as Bill mentions, cotton string soaked in soap works.  The
soap, however, should be  Fels-Naptha laundry soap.  The bar kind, kind
of brownis color bar.  It is gas proof-- or at least it was  when i
bought my bar and used it 30 years ago...   It would seal a gas tank
leak and not dissolve.   Rolling the string thru it makes a good 'rope
seal"  for sedimemnt bowls.  I still use the  piece I have from time to
time now.

Whoo-eeee!   I just looked up Fels-naptha  with Google--  It is now made
by Dial soap Co. and is on most store shelves.  A lot of thrifty folks
shave it, and make their own laundry detergent.. saving lots of money--
there are a whole raft of uses for it.   I'm going to get a NEW bar! and
try some....      Carl in VT