[AT] hydraulics problem

Lew Best bee_keeper at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 9 16:25:40 PST 2006

Hey guys

Got a problem; (so what else is new)?

On an old John Deere 420 power steering it's doing something crazy!
Solved a few problems yesterday; got it to turning pretty good one way
but not near as good the other.  Had a bad leak on one of the rotten old
hoses coming from the control valve to the cylinder so replaced the hose
today thinking that would fix it.  Well, that made things worse!  Seems
that when it had pressure on the good hose that the leak let the return
fluid from the cylinder out so it worked.  Now (with no leak for the
return flow) no turn either way.  Someone had obviously had problems
with this steering before (had sheared keys & roll pins, etc.) so now
I'm kinda grasping at straws.  What is obviously supposed to happen is
when you turn there should be pressure to one end of the cylinder making
it push & the fluid from the other end be allowed to go back to the
suction side of the pump.  Is there a check valve inside of the control
that could be stuck? I've removed the hoses one at a time (right, left &
return) & all seem to squirt fluid "when they should."

BTW I wanted to replace one of the shafts in the valve (pretty well
mutilated) but the shaft is no longer available thru JD.  Asked about a
complete valve & same response.  Hate to tear into it not knowing if any
parts available (seals, etc.) but guess I'll have too.  No good the way
it is!  Anyone got one (or know of a source) without having to give an
arm & a leg for it?

Any ideas appreciated!!!!!!!

Lew