[AT] Re: Potato Digger comments

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Feb 8 05:04:34 PST 2006

I can't speak for the farms in PA or OH, but here in NJ what you see
from the Interstate is not what you get. :-) Very few of the working
dairy farms in my area use vertical silos any more - they either use
ag-bags (silage packed into a long plastic tube that lies on the ground
and is cut away as the bag is emptied) or bunker silage (silage placed
on the ground and covered with huge plastic tarps held down with old
tires. And you rarely see the cows out during the winter - there is very
little for them to eat, and they just make a mess out of the pastures
walking around and trying to tear up what little grass is there. Some of
my neighbors put them out with a few bales to munch on while they clean
out the stalls, but only for a short while.

Some of the dairy farms in my area have given up on dairy and gone over
to just hay - milk prices are terrible, the co-ops in bad shape, and the
price of hay seems to be holding very well. So you won't see much
activity in January - except on Tuesdays when the local livestock/crop
auction is in operation. I drove by it yesterday, and there were at
least a dozen flatbed trailers loaded with square bales and waiting for
the auction to start.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Truth is not only violated by falsehood; it may be equally outraged by
silence.  -Henri Frederic Amiel philosopher and writer (1821-1881)