[Farmall] Farmall H transmission leak

chuck at coolpoolguy.com chuck at coolpoolguy.com
Tue Feb 7 21:51:46 PST 2006

Hey all!
Thanks a whole bunch for all of your comments! I found a couple of manuals
and studied what you’ve told me about my oil leak, I  know a whole bunch
more about this problem than I did three days ago. Thanks again! I checked
that Binders Books – they seem to have a manual for my H but they don’t
offer any description of that manual. Any thoughts on the H manual from
Binders? I have a “IH Shop Manual”  - # IH-8. It covers a number of IH
models and is designed for a fairly experienced tractor mechanic. I guess
I know motorcycles a little better

;~(

I don’t have any attachments that would need to be lifted so I never used
the pump and hydraulic system. I’ll disconnect the pump and see what it
will take to replace that seal I suspect. If the pump shaft is driven off
the transmission, would the pump stop when the clutch is pushed in? I
found a few drawings of the transmission and lift-all pump, but never
drawn in relation to one another. I still don’t have a really good visual
picture of the drive and driven shafts as they go into the transmission
case. Do the shafts share a common transmission housing internally? Are
the seals equally likely to leak? Does the pump shaft seal have a history
of above average failure or leaks?  I posted a couple of pics of my
tractor and transmission at http://www.coolpoolguy.com/farmall/index.htm

I hope for some time this weekend to tinker a bit more – maybe I’ll try to
start her up although they’re saying we may feel a little more like winter
this weekend here in Wisconsin and my barn isn’t heated.

Thanks!
Chuck