[AT] Re: Potato Digger comments

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Feb 7 19:18:00 PST 2006

Greg,
 You want to make that garden soil nice and airy and a bit easier to
work with, Grab up all the leaves you can find through the fall and use
grass clippings as well. Toss them all over the garden and plow or till
them under. I couldn't believe how well that worked on the mushy clay
crap in the garden at my fathers. Working in that garden was no fun,
between picking out rocks on one end and the mud bog on the other it
made childhood interesting. He found out about the leaves after trying
hay, green manure, and even adding sand. The leaves worked better than
all of those. After three years it was a nice loam about 5 inches down.
With the manure, and the leaves it got to the point where you had to run
with the planter to avoid the plants growing behind you....;-)

Of course I then moved and what did I get for soil here. 4 feet of CLAY,
Been seriously considering becoming a potter.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York