[AT] Re: Potato Digger comments

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Tue Feb 7 15:30:21 PST 2006

In our particular area, many people use old, horsedrawn potato diggers as
lawn ornaments.  I still see many of them sitting in fence rows.  I have a
horsedrawn potato digger which I bought from a neighbor for $50.  I tried
to use it to dig my potatoes for several years (coverted to
tractor-pulled).  My garden, which is located in a old 1-acre barnyard, has
very mushy soil which would not go through the chain very well and would
keep plugging.  So... last year I was able to locate a 1-row PTO-driven
digger at an auction that had been used for a small truck farm.  It sure
works great!  Ironically, despite all of the old horsedrawn digegrs around,
I know of only one person in the whole county who now grows potatoes on the
commercial level.  However, 60 miles to the southwest of us around the
bottom of Saginaw Bay, potatoes are grown by the hundreds of acres.

Greg Hass
Bad Axe
(From Michigan's Thumb)