[AT] OT - using pitchfork

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 10:00:14 PST 2006

Pitchforks usually have a tang that inserts into a hole on the end of the
handle.  The handle has a metal collar, but they aren't connected.  I think
you can drill (use a metal bit) until you hit the tang, then open a vice
enough to let the fork pass but catch on the handle and drive the tang out.
I seem to remember they are a lot easier to change than a shovel handle.  If
they are old and a little loose, you may be able to just drive the old
handle off without drilling first.  We used to lay them under the wood stove
and let them dry and shrink for a few days, then they nearly fell off.  It
wasn't too hot to touch, but dries enough to shrink the handle.

A pitchfork was an essential tool for the AC Roto balers.

Pitich forks have 3 tines, manure forks have more 4-6 tines, if it looks
like a scoop shovel with tines, it's a silage fork.  If it has 3 tines and a
LONG handle, it's a bundle fork, for pitching wheat bundles onto a TALL
wagon.

---