[AT] Rivet how-to

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Feb 5 16:53:20 PST 2006

On 5 Feb 2006 at 18:19, carl gogol wrote:

> The way we removed damaged sickle bar sections (when we still removed them
> from the mower) was to set the cutter bar assembly vertically along the
> straight edge portion of an anvil so the bar rested on the anvil and the
> knives lied along the edge and pointed towards the floor.  A stout hammer
> blow from above onto the damaged section would shear both rivets of that
> section and then it was easy to punch the heads out with a nail or other
> high tech tool.  This works best if you can support the bad section and at
> least one on either side of it then hit only the bad section.  I have
> recently done this same thing with substituting a section of track rail for
> the anvil.
> Carl Gogol

	I use the anvil for the riveting but to remove a section I use a large vise
 and set it so that the sections just slip down in the vise but the bar stops
solidly against the vise jaw. Then I hit the back of the section to shear the
 rivets. I find it a little easier to hold the sickle with one hand with it sandwiched
in the vise jaws.

--
"farmer"

I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack
me at once.   :-)

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net