[AT] Rivet how-to

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Feb 5 15:19:44 PST 2006

The way we removed damaged sickle bar sections (when we still removed them
from the mower) was to set the cutter bar assembly vertically along the
straight edge portion of an anvil so the bar rested on the anvil and the
knives lied along the edge and pointed towards the floor.  A stout hammer
blow from above onto the damaged section would shear both rivets of that
section and then it was easy to punch the heads out with a nail or other
high tech tool.  This works best if you can support the bad section and at
least one on either side of it then hit only the bad section.  I have
recently done this same thing with substituting a section of track rail for
the anvil.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC One-Seventy D