[AT] Rivet how-to

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Feb 5 13:56:27 PST 2006

Whoa, John.  I just got back home from talking with a blacksmith about
your problem.  He says the conical rivet head is the trickiest of all to
manufacture.  His opinion is that the rivets were turned with the
conical heads in the first place, forced into the holes, and then
riveted on the button head end.  His assessment is that "Anybody can
form a button head with nothing but a hammer, but there is no buck or
dolly that will form a cone head and make the metal flow out and around
the way you want it to."

And he unequivocally said, "It has to be riveted hot."

He said the company probably had a simple jig set up for the assembly,
inserted hot rivets through the holes, and headed the button head end
with a half dozen blows of a 2# hammer.

YMMV

Larry