[AT] Rivet how-to

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Sat Feb 4 12:36:59 PST 2006

    John;
    During my working days at rockwell on the axle assembly line
we used a C-Frame hydraulic riveter. We installed rivets for
brake spiders and brake assemblies. Rivets were typically 3/8 to
5/8 inch diameter. The riveter had interchangable inserts for
the different style rivets. The hydrailic piston was about 4
inch diameter, so the compression force was very high. I would
guess a 1/2 inch rivet would require in the neighborhood 5 to 6
tons to squeeze. I don't believe you could get enough force from
a hand riveter to accomplish this task.
    I would think that wrought iron would make a suitable rivet.
It is soft and very malleable.
    To get the proper angle for the finished swage, you could
mearure the angle at the end and sharpen a drill bit to that
angle and then drill it in the lathe.
    Farmer mentioned lubricant for the riveter and we found that
hydraulic oil leaking from the riveter piston was adequate for
this purpose. Occasionally we would dab a little wheel bearing
grease if it seemed to be getting dry.

                Gene