[AT] Rivet how-to

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat Feb 4 11:44:51 PST 2006

On 4 Feb 2006 at 13:51, John Hall wrote:

> The only thing is these are about a 60 deg included angle
> and go to a sharp point. I'll just have to machine the taper
> in. My plan is to make a king size tool like you rivet
> sections with. Before making the tool body I'll get the set
> end made and use my lathe to hold everything for brading.
> I'm thinking something along the lines of 3/4 fine thread
> ought to give me enough power if I heat the rivet. I think
> the trick is going to be getting the rivet just the right
> length.
>
> Are rivets made out of soft steeel such as leadloy or are
> they something more like CRS?
>
> John

	John:
	I think that the older mower rivets I have act more like blacksmith iron
than steel.
	You might want to consider using some kind of high heat lubricant
 between your tool and the hot rivet. Graphite jumps to mind or Teflon?
Others may have a lot of good ideas for a lubricant...

--
"farmer"

I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack
me at once.   :-)

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net